This day is memorable. On this day, 32 years ago, a ten plus year dream started to unfold. That year, April 19, 1987 was on Easter Sunday, not Good Friday as it is in 2019. But that day, 32 years ago, was the launch of a vision, Cape Christian. This year, this day, is the beginning of eight Easter weekend services. There were only 97 of us who gathered in a school cafeteria on this special day over three decades ago. This weekend, there will be several thousand who will gather on a beautiful 14 acre campus. So many things have changed. So many things are exactly the same.
Here’s what has changed:
- We used to speak about reaching hundreds and now it is about thousands.
- We used to need a dozen volunteers to make an event successful and now we need hundreds.
- We used to have overhead projectors, projection screens, analog sound boards and land lines and now we have video, computers, internet, smart phones, digital sound and LED walls.
- We used to have one person who could oversee an event, now it takes a huge team of leaders to make it all work.
Here’s what hasn’t changed:
- It’s all about Jesus. It was then. It is now. Jesus died and rose again. For me. For you. For everyone.
- Everyone matters. Every life is important. No one is just a number in a massive crowd. Everyone’s story is significant.
- We always bring our best. Excellence honors God and inspires people. Then and now.
- We are faith-filled, big thinkers. We dream big, celebrate big, and take big risks because we serve a big God. Always have. Always will.
Much more could be added but I’m grateful for this day, this very special day. A day to give thanks for God’s goodness and grace shown through what Jesus did for us on the cross and through His resurrection. Happy Easter weekend! And Happy 32ndAnniversary to Cape Christian!