19% will go to their place of employment this week wishing they were some place else, according to research by the Society for Human Research Management.  81% of U.S. employees indicated overall satisfaction with their job in 2012.  But much more alarming is a Gallup Management Journal article that claims only 29% of employees feel engaged in their work. The other 71% show up, but are psychologically absent and generally non-productive.

PurposefulWork3As one who has regularly loved my work 99% of the time over the last 34 years, I can’t quite imagine being motivated to get out of bed and go to work if I didn’t regularly experience satisfaction or engagement with my work. If only financial necessity drove my job choice or going to work at all, I think I would soon be disillusioned and discouraged.

Purposeful Work2I wonder if the stats above are at all related to a quote I read the other day by Psychologist William Marsten who said, “94% of people have no definite purpose for their lives.”  I believe so. A lack of connection to what you do for a living usually reflects a lack of purpose and meaning in life.

In counseling hundreds of people over the years who are trying to discover and develop greater clarity and focus in their lives, I have noticed four attitudes toward work:

“It’s just a job.”  Show up, do the minimum and collect a check. No attachments to the role, company, ministry, associates or purpose.

“I do it for the security and stability.” – Some identification with the company and associates, but really there for the paycheck.

 “It is my profession or trade.” – Provides some personal satisfaction and challenge, money is important, and identification with role and organization can be present as well.

“This is my purpose in life. I am called to do this!”Using your gifts for the intent that the Creator has ordained while filling a need and getting paid for the service.

Purposeful Work1This is what I’ve noticed. When you understand and grasp your God-given purpose, you gain clarity and direction needed to:

  • understand yourself
  • recognize your gifts and your passions
  • choose activities that align with your purpose
  • experience real satisfaction in your job and life

When you are aware of your purpose, and you make decisions that are in line with that knowledge – you will be able to put your skills and talent to work in roles that maximize enjoyment, effectiveness and results. Are there any steps you need to take this week to make sure you are one of those experiencing purposeful work?

 

QUESTION: Do you have a clear picture of your God-given purpose? Can you share it in a sentence or two in the Comment section below?

 

4 responses to Purposeful Work

  1. Pingback: The Fear of a Pointless Life | DENNIS GINGERICH

  2. Angela Pariso on May 9, 2013 at 7:58 PM Reply

    I have figured out my purpose and am trying to do what I think God’s will is, which is to use my life experiences to help others. That is why I started my Inspiration through Faith, Hope, and Love website. I often think that if I could spend even half the energy I spend trying to be a top performing sales representative on this website or something related to it, that I could make a difference! I just haven’t found a way financially to make that happen-I HAVE to work to support me and my child, I just wish there was some way my work could be related to my passion, which I also believe is my purpose. I feel in my heart that that is what God wants me to do, I just need to figure out how to do it. I have the will, I just need the way. I put my trust in him and pray every day for a sign showing me the direction I need to go. I am confident that with the help of God, I will figure this out! I want to, as you said, use my gifts for the intent the Creator has ordained, and get paid doing it!

    • Dennis Gingerich on May 9, 2013 at 8:03 PM Reply

      Stay in a receptive and open posture, Angela, and God will bring you your heart’s desire at the right time!

  3. Robert Dubois on May 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM Reply

    Someday, I will say; “yes, I have clear Vision but other days I don’t”. I’m like the weather Sunny day and rainy day. Up and downs. But to have a clear picture is very hard, may be, because I did not learn-it when I was young… I don’t know. But Now, I’m trusting God to give me some direction for my given-purpose life one day at the time. It’s all I can do…

Join the conversation...

%d bloggers like this: